Canada Non-resident (Inter-province) Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card

Heading to the Big North? Keep yourself covered.

If you’re visiting Canada, your U.S. auto policy will cover you in your travels.  However, to ensure that you have proper proof of insurance while out of country, you’ll need a Canada non-resident inter-province motor vehicle liability insurance card,commonly referred to as a ‘non-resident card.’ 

For Pennsylvania drivers, most auto policies include coverage that carries over in Canada. The U.S. and Canada have a fairly open and reciprocal relationship when it comes to drivers’ coverage, so U.S. coverage and driver’s licenses are commonly accepted. 

At Jeffers Insurance Agency it’s easy to acquire a non-resident card. Just contact your agent and request one; it can be mailed or even emailed to you.

What about accidents and rentals?

If you rent a car in Canada you’ll still have insurance through your U.S. insurer. It’s best to speak with your agent before embarking on your trip to clarify what exactly you’ll need to be able to rent and drive a car in Canada. Sometimes, if you’re driving in remote areas or renting a recreational vehicle, your insurance needs can change.

If you’re in an accident in Canada you can handle the situation in much the same way that you handle accidents in the U.S.  You call the police, relay the details of the incident, and then call us.  We’ll walk you through the rest.  If you get into an accident in a province that requires higher liability limits than the limits on your policy, you will automatically be provided with higher limits specified by law.

It helps to know the laws of the province in which you’ll be traveling before you go off on your trip. Contact your agent before you leave, and he or she can help you prepare for the unexpected. 

Packing the Essentials and Insurance for Canada

When you go to Canada, pack your passport in addition to your driver’s license. If you’re traveling with a child, bring a proof of ID: a birth certificate or proof of custody forms will work fine.

If you’re living in a Canadian province there are a few options for you to acquire U.S. auto insurance. Depending on the province in which you live, we can provide you with a long-term policy directly or through a Canadian insurance partner. 
We’re dedicated to your peace of mind and complete coverage. We’ll be quick about getting your Canadian insurance card to you if you’re a U.S. driver who’s traveling to Canada.  If you’re doing special types of driving while abroad, we’ll help you get covered just as easily. If you’re a Canadian, we’ll help you get covered here in the U.S. 

At Jeffers Insurance we’re happy to provide auto insurance and insurance cards to U.S. and Canadian drivers in York, Hanover, Lancaster, Harrisburg, Shrewsbury, and Mechanicsburg, PA. We also serve Maryland, New York, Virginia, and New Jersey.

Jeffers Insurance Agency

1010 Windsor Rd.

Red Lion, PA 17356

Main office: 717-850-9451
Toll free: 800-304-0739
Fax: 866-374-1985

Office Hours:

Mon: 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Tues: 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Wed: 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Thurs: 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Fri: 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Sat: Closed
Sun: Closed

Our Providers


Accommodating, professional, helpful, and quick. Very comfortable experience and I was impressed by their capabilities. Highly recommended.
Brad M.
I feel lucky to have found an agent willing to provide this level of service. No need to look anywhere else!
Michelle D.
Over the years we’ve never once had to worry about our coverage. My husband and I are long-time customers and proud to be.
Carol S.
Surprisingly flexible and in-touch with my needs as a small business owner. Can’t ask for more.
Spencer F.
They have strong ties with the community, and it shows. It’s nice to do business with people that really show they care about you and your family.
Susan T.